VIRTUAL TOUR OF POTOSI PINES
Through the efforts of the First Methodist Church of Las Vegas, a lease was signed in 1958 for a BLM land patent agreement for a parcel of land to be used for recreational purposes by the Methodist Churches of Clark County, Nevada. In 1959, a bunkhouse was purchased from the Union Pacific Railroad; it was dismantled and hauled up to Potosi and has served as the lodge and dining hall ever since then. In 1972, the Potosi Camp committee enlisted Peter and Beth Sarles to be volunteer caretakers at the camp, which even meant that they even had to provide their own living quarters. During this time period, Southern Nevada was part of the Southern California UM conference and it wasn’t until 1985 that it became part of the Desert Southwest Conference. The first two sleeping cabins were funded and built by local UM churches were dedicated in 1979 and by 1984; other local churches built an additional 3 cabins, a bath house, and an outdoor chapel. In 1993.
In 2002, the retreat center was finished. It was built with funds from the “Conference Bold in Christ Campaign”. This retreat center meets ADA standards, and other modifications have been made to make the dining hall and other areas handicapped accessible as well.